On its website WIPO gives an overview of the number of domain name dispute cases which have been decided by the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center since 1999. Based in Geneva, Switzerland, the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center was established in 1994 to offer Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) options, in particular arbitration and mediation, for the resolution of international commercial disputes between private parties. The number of domain name dispute cases has been increasing steadily since 2003 (1100 cases) and reached an all-time high in 2007, when 2154 cases were decided by the panel.
OHIM reports that the European Union's membership of the Geneva Act of the Hague Agreement dealing with the international registration of industrial designs became operational on 1 January 2008. Membership follows the EC's submission of its instrument of accession to the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) in Geneva on 24 September 2007. This establishes a link between the Geneva Act of the Hague Agreement system, which is administered by WIPO, and the Community design system administered by the OHIM. Joining the Hague process for designs allows companies, with a single application, to obtain protection not only throughout the EU with the Community Design, but also in the countries which are members of the Geneva Act. The process aims to simplify procedures, reduce the costs for international protection and make administration easier.
On its website the UK Intellectual Property Office currently reports on "What's new in trade marks?". The list of recent updates or additions includes:
- An update of the cross search list: Classes 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 14, 16, 23, 25, 26, 30, 31, 35, 43 and 44 amended (changed: 19 December 2007)
- An update of the "Opposing a trade mark" fact sheet (changed: 19 December 2007)
- Tribunal Practice Notice TPN 6/2007 added (changed: 12 December 2007)
- Exchange rate for Madrid Protocol Application fees paid via a UK deposit account
December exchange rate added (changed 1 December 2007)
- Period of Grace Arrangements Notice of change for Period of Grace Arrangements added (changed: 5 December 2007)